Thursday, March 28, 2013

Staying in Neutral

Last week there was a challenge on the Jingle Belles blog to use only neutrals. I found this to be a real challenge but ended up making two Christmas cards for that challenge. I thought I would challenge myself again with the same theme, but this time, I created a birthday card.  I began by selecting papers and cardstocks that were brown or tan.  I even threw in some wall paper that I pulled from a sample book that was given to me.  I used brown ink to stamp the outline of leaves and colored the leaves with markers and colored pencils. I layered these leaves on a textured piece of wall paper. It has these lovely horizontal stripes. I adhered the wall paper and leaves to a tan piece of cardstock and stamped happy birthday with brown ink. I layered the remaining pieces of wall paper (banner) and the patterned papers based on this week's sketch at CAS(E) this Sketch. It's a  fun sketch and I am pleased that I was able to keep the card CAS even with all the layers.

Supplies:  Stamps: Market Street Stamps, Growth, Stampin' Up, Birthday Whimsy,Colored Pencils: Crayola, Makers: Bic Mark It, Patterned Paper: Echo Park, This & That, Wallpaper: Wilton, Cardstock?, Adhesives: Scotch ATG


4 comments:

  1. This is lovely - natural, serene and elegant! Thanks so much for playing along with us at CAS(E) This Sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These neutrals really help to keep the design CAS, so clever and such a wonderful result.
    Thanks so much for sharing at CAS(E) this Sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenda, your card is really eye catching, love the neutrals and the mix of patterns & textures :) Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, Brenda. I love the earthiness of the color palette and the foliage - amazing texture! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS(E) This Sketch - we're so glad you did!

    ReplyDelete