Friday, April 19, 2013

From Card to Tree

I am on a roll here. Thanks to Lauren and Steph at Jingle Belles where the current challenge is to use a recycled element on a card. I have been playing with recycled elements off and on all week and this mornings card is no exception. However, this card takes recycling to another lever because the ornament that I created is removal so the recipient can hang it on a tree. To make the ornament, I downloaded an image from the internet and enlarged it in MS Word and printed it. The ornament itself is made from a DIY shrink plastic.  If you read my previous post (here), I used a panel from a  #6 bakery plastic container and shrunk it to make snowflakes.  However, in the previous post, I didn't add color. For the Santa ornament, I placed the image of Santa beneath a piece of  #6 plastic, taped it in place with masking tape and used acrylic paints to add detail. (You can use markers to color the image, but I get more vibrant color with paint, probably because I don't have the right brand of marker for the plastic surface.) After the paint dried, I used a heat gun and shrunk it. I adhered an ornament hanger to the back with a hot glue gone and attached it to the embossed white background (I poked a hole in the cardstock with a needle.) I added pine branches and mounted it on a white cardbase with dimensional adhesive.

I have to be honest, after I was done painting it, I wasn't sure I wanted to shrink it, because I loved the vibrant colors. But, I did and I'm happy with the results. The white paint (which is really White Out because I had a limited supply of white paint) sort of flecked off and created "falling" snow over the image.

A close up look at the ornament.
This is what the image looked like after I was done painting it with acrylic paint. 
 Supplies: # 6 Bakery plastic container, Cardbase/Cardstock: Recollections, Image: Deposit Photos, Acrylic Paint: Master's Touch, Heat Gun: Marvy Uchida , Embossing Folder: Darice, Pine Bough Punch: Martha Stewart, Bic White Out, Dimensional Adhesive: Scrapbook Adhesives 3D Foam Squares


4 comments:

  1. Absolutely love it! Did you leave a clear edge around the design?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ♥♥♥WOW♥♥♥!!! bold new heights of recycling creativity and imagination here! which is saying something, since you're already a figure of some repute in that area! especially for this prompt, you are sooooooooooooo totally ON FIRE with the brilliant ideas, it's amazing to watch!

    (ps: for the record, you never EVER have to apologize to us for getting carried away and making lots of different cards-- we absolutely ♥LOVE♥ it!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well aren't you clever ... you are really rocking the recycling ... the painting really takes it to the next level ... so very glad you celebrated earth day with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete